In NSW The Food Act 2003 (NSW) requires certain food businesses in the NSW hospitality and retail food service sector to have at least one trained Food Safety Supervisor (FSS).
The NSW Food Authority's FSS program was established to help reduce foodborne illness in the hospitality and retail food service sectors in NSW by improving food handler skills and knowledge.
The program also aims to provide food businesses with high quality and consistent training by a Registered Training Organisation (RTO) that has been approved by the Food Authority such as Job Trainer Australia
This unit will provide you with the skills and knowledge to handle food safely during the storage, preparation, display, service and disposal of food. It requires the Food Safety Supervisor's ability to follow predetermined procedures as outlined in a food safety program.
The unit applies to all tourism, hospitality and catering organisations.
Food safety authorities may require both SITXFSA001 and SITXFSA002 to register as a Food Safety Supervisor, refer to your state authority or view information in relation to your state on Job Trainer Australia FAQ’s or course information.
This unit is valid in all states of Australia and the hospitality, retail and tourism industries
No downloading or uploading of forms!
Job Trainer Australia has developed a custom platform that is truly 100% online, no forms to download, print, complete and scan. A click of a button allows you to complete the observation checklist online. Results are automatically updated in your course and assessor feedback can be viewed immediately.
Job Trainer Australia offers government approved, current and industry relevant courses across the hospitality and retail industries to help you gain a nationally recognised statement of attainment in your area of interest or work. The unit applies to all tourism, hospitality and catering organisations and is valid in all states of Australia and the hospitality, retail and tourism industries
Job Trainer Australia’s inclusive digital environment allows easy, 24/7 access to extensive learning resources giving you the flexibility to adapt your study around your lifestyle.
To support you throughout your studies we provide live chat, FAQ’s, free App , Spotify podcast and so much more.
- Unique Job Trainer Australia has developed a custom platform that is truly 100% online, no forms to download, print, complete and scan. A click of a button allows you to complete the Observation checklist online. Results are automatically updated in your course and can assessor feedback can be viewed immediately.
- Flexible Enjoy the flexibility of online training. Train any time 24/7. Job Trainer Australia provides an easy to navigate, engaging online portal. Train in your own time, at your own pace, our website offers full flexibility to fit in with your schedule. Stop and start whenever you like, our online platform will remember where you left off.
- Secure Relax, your details are safe with us, our platform has the highest encrypted SSL your details are safe and secure.
- Engaging Our online platform has been created using the latest technology to enhance your experience. We have developed engaging, interactive content that depict real life events. We will challenge your thinking and provide you with strategies to handle difficult situations.
In compliance with privacy laws, we are notifying that your personal information will be provided to the Food Authority
The NSW Food Safety Supervisor course is for any person wishing to become a Food Safety Supervisor (FSS) in NSW.
If you work in a food environment that requires a Food Safety Supervisor to monitor and manage food handling procedures to ensure high standards of food safety, then this is the course for you.
This course also addresses food safety systems. Many basic food handling and hygiene rules and procedures have been discussed in the prerequisite course SITXFSA001 Use Hygiene Practices for Food Safety. They will not be covered in detail again in this course. It is recommended that you review Use Hygiene Practices for Food Safety before commencing this course.
Upon successful completion you will be awarded a statement of attainment which can be used towards a nationally recognised training course or qualification.
NSW FSS Certificates are valid for 5 years after which you are required to undertake refresher training.
Job Trainer Australia offers the refresher training for NSW for participants who have already undertaken the FULL NSW FSS unit.
Support is available, please see the ‘Support’ tab to view details.
QUICK OVERVIEW - ASSESSMENT PROCESS
- Straightforward questions to demonstrate your knowledge
- Apply what you have learnt to a simulated environment
Workplace Observation Report
- Unique Job Trainer Australia owned 100% online electronic workplace feedback report, generated from your own training page with a click of a button.
- Electronic 100% online feedback report securely accessed by a nominated co-worker or supervisor (past or present) with at least 18 months industry experience to confirm that you can perform practical tasks in the workplace.
- Job Trainer Australia provides a custom learning platform to make it easy.
- Before commencing this short course, you will need to have completed SITXFSA001 - Use hygienic practices for food safety. You may already have completed this course with another provider, simply upload evidence of your certificate.
- If you haven’t completed the pre-requisite unit, head to our bundles page and purchase together and save $$.
- Each student will undertake a Pre-Enrolment Review or LLN short test before enrolling to help confirm the proposed course is suitable. It will provide valuable information about an individual's existing skills and knowledge, language, literacy and numeracy skills and whether the course will help in achieving learning and/or employment goals.
- The course is broken down into small, manageable sections designed to improve your learning. At the end of each section is a multiple-choice quiz. Please read the assessment tab for more information on how the assessment works.
Assessment stage 1 - Knowledge - Multiple Choice & Free text.
- After completion of each of the modules, a multiple-choice is presented.
- Each module assessment comprises of a combination of multiple-choice questions such as drag and drop, fill in the missing word.
- Should you submit an incorrect response to a multiple-choice question, you will be provided with further opportunities to review the learning material and reattempt the question/s.
- Once you have satisfactorily completed Assessment 1 – you will move onto Assessment Stage 2
Assessment stage 2 - Skills evidence.
- Assessment stage 2 is to be undertaken in a simulated environment; this could be in a home kitchen.
- You are required to follow safe handling practices to store prepare and dispose of a potentially hazardous food product
- You will be provided with the task and are to record your demonstration on your phone and upload to your training account.
- An assessor will view and confirm requirements have been met.
- Once you have satisfactorily completed Assessment 2 – you will move onto Assessment Stage 3
Assessment stage 3 – Skills and Knowledge – Third Party Evidence Checklist
QUICK, PAPERLESS & EASY.
Our custom designed online platform allows you to directly send your electronic workplace observation checklist from your training page to your co-worker or supervisor (past or present) with just a click of a button.
They will be able to access and complete the secure online observation checklist.
No downloading, printing, scanning of forms required, simply click a button and complete online.
Results sent directly to our assessors, saving you time. Providing you with the ability to receive an view assessor feedback immediately.
- Assessment stage 3 requires another party to observe and collect evidence that you are able to perform the required skills and apply the required knowledge on a regular basis in a work environment.
- You may already have worked in the industry and we will happily accept evidence from a recent past workplace situation.
- Once deemed satisfactory you will be awarded your;
- Statement of attainment in SITXFSA002 Participate in safe food handling practices &
- The NSW Food Authority NSW FSS certificate - valid for 5 years
Resources you will need for assessment stage 2 & 3:
You are required to video a short demonstration in a simulated hospitality environment such as a home kitchen, so you will need a few resources to make the scene look as real as possible, these include:
- Food preparation equipment and storage areas such as fridge, cutting boards
- Appropriate food items, we will provide a checklist of what will be suitable
- A bench top – this will depict the food preparation area. A home kitchen bench is suitable.
- Reliable internet
- Appropriate third party to complete the online checklist report * Please Course and Assessment tab for Third Party detail.